Point woman arrested after standoff with police

POINT PLEASANT — A Point Pleasant woman is facing a wanton endangerment charge after a tense standoff Saturday between herself and law enforcement.

Brenda M. Hicks, 56, is currently being housed in the Western Regional Jail on the wanton endangerment charge. After appearing in Mason County Magistrate Court, her bond was set at $200,000.

According to the Mason County Sheriff’s Department, on Saturday, officers with the sheriff’s department and West Virginia State Police, arrived at Hicks’ residence on Burdette Street to serve her with a mental hygiene petition. Prior to arriving on the scene, the sheriff’s department reports it was notified that Hicks had two weapons and ammunition in her possession.

A deputy attempted to coax Hicks out of the home for a while and, at one point, a deputy observed Hicks with a gun through the window, according to the sheriff’s department. During the attempt to serve the petition, Hicks allegedly fired a shot inside the home and would not exit the residence.

The West Virginia State Police Special Response Team (SRT) was called to help diffuse the situation. Also, law enforcement from multiple agencies, including the City of Point Pleasant, began to evacuate people and vehicles in the neighborhood for their own protection. The neighborhood includes several houses, apartments, as well as Bellemead United Methodist Church and Paint Plus Hardware. In addition, Burdette Street was closed while law enforcement created a safe perimeter around Hicks’ home.

The SRT officers arrived with robotic equipment that could safely approach the house and see inside it, according to the sheriff’s department. Law enforcement also continued to attempt to coax Hicks from the home through a public address system as the standoff continued into the afternoon, evening and night. Finally, the SRT sent tear gas into the home, allowing officers to enter and restrain Hicks without injury to herself, officers or residents.

The entire ordeal began around 2 p.m. and wrapped up shortly after 10 p.m. Saturday. Also on the scene, Mason County EMS personnel who treated Hicks and transported her to Pleasant Valley Hospital to be decontaminated from the tear gas, according to the sheriff’s department.