MASON — Following a successful Fourth of July celebration, the Mason Town Council discussed future recreational activities during the most recent meeting.
Mayor Donna Dennis said she and council member Emily Henry have discussed the town sponsoring a lip sync contest at the Stewart-Johnson V.F.W./Lottie Jenks Memorial Park.
The lip sync will be held in late August or early September on a Saturday evening. Ten entries will be needed in order to hold the event, which will feature cash prizes. More details will be published as they become available.
House of Delegates member Josh Higginbotham attended the meeting to offer his assistance in any way possible, and to update the council on the recent legislative session.
He told members about the broadband bill that allows municipalities and small companies to create their own broadband infrastructure. The delegate said the bill will create more competition for the larger companies, whose services are sometimes expensive and of poor quality.
Higginbotham also told the council about the home rule bill that had “huge bipartisan support,” but that was vetoed by the governor. He said the bill, which would more strictly enforce municipal codes, will be reintroduced in January.
In other action, the council:
- Hired Wayne Woolard as a part-time police officer;
- Hired part-time police officer Sierra Carmichael as a full-time officer;
- Accepted the resignation of police officer Tyler Deweese;
- Heard a report from the mayor that Myers Paving will begin tarring and chipping alleys next week;
- Tabled discussions on purchasing police radios and a golf cart for the water department;
- Heard a report from the mayor that work on the water upgrade project is complete; and,
- Set meetings for the new term of office as the first Thursday of the month at 6:30 p.m., and the third Thursday at 1 p.m.
The next meeting will be held July 27 at 1 p.m. due to vacations.
Attending were Mayor Dennis, Recorder Ciji Casto, and council members Sharon Kearns and Becky Pearson.
Mindy Kearns is a freelance writer for Ohio Valley Publishing, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.