The first amendment is the implementation of a $5 increase on municipal court fees, from $25 to $30. The extra $5 will be directed to Teen Court, a program designed to give students an opportunity to act as judges, jurors, etc., against first-time juvenile offenders if those offenders choose to participate in the program after being charged with a misdemeanor.
The second amendment is a change to the noise ordinance and gives police officers the right to enforce the ordinance 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The ordinance previously was in effect only for certain hours.
The final readings of the amendments will take place during the next regular meeting and will be implemented upon approval.
Council members also talked about the need to enforce other ordinances and will further discuss the issue at an upcoming meeting.
In other business, council members:
• Unanimously approved renewing an annual contract with the Mason County Health Department at a cost of $500. The health department routinely provides flu shots at the city building or library.
• Heard a reading of the proposed town newsletter, which gives a brief overview of several current and upcoming projects within the town. Copies of the newsletter will be mailed to residents.
• Heard an update regarding work being done at the public swimming pool. New fencing has been installed around the pool, and a privacy fence on one side of the pool will be installed soon.
A list of potential lifeguards for the upcoming pool season also was presented to council members, who will discuss the issue at an upcoming work session.
• Discussed charging sewer, water and other municipal fees to owners of vacant homes.
• Discussed purchasing another mower. Council members agreed that the recently purchased mower works nicely. The issue will be further discussed at an upcoming work session.
• Discussed installing a basketball hoop at the public swimming pool.
• Were asked to display an American flag on the flag pole at the community center.
• Tentatively scheduled a work session for 4 p.m. Tuesday, May 5.
• Adjourned at 8:35 p.m.
The next regular meeting will be 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 12 at the community center.