POINT PLEASANT — A Tuesday afternoon fire in Point Pleasant left a home uninhabitable, according to Point Pleasant Fire Chief Jeremy Bryant.
The fire occurred at 195 North Park Dr., the home of Jimmy Rockwell, Bryant said. The cause of the fire is believed to be a kerosene heater.
Rockwell was home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries reported.
Firefighters with the Point Pleasant Volunteer Fire Department extinguished the blaze. Firefighters with the Gallipolis Volunteer Fire Department were also initially dispatched to help though that request was later canceled, Bryant said.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration which falls under the Federal Emergency Management Agency, when dealing with kerosene heaters, consumers should follow these safety tips:
Be sure your heater is in good working condition. Inspect exhaust parts for carbon buildup. Be sure the heater has an emergency shut off in case the heater is tipped over.
Never use fuel burning appliances without proper room venting. Burning fuel (coal, kerosene, or propane, for example) can produce deadly fumes.
Use only the fuel recommended by the heater manufacturer. Never introduce a fuel into a unit not designed for that type fuel.
Keep kerosene, or other flammable liquids stored in approved metal containers, in well ventilated storage areas, outside of the house.
Never fill the heater while it is operating or hot. When refueling an oil or kerosene unit, avoid overfilling.
Refueling should be done outside of the home (or outdoors). Keep young children away from space heaters—especially when they are wearing night gowns or other loose clothing that can be easily ignited.
When using a fuel burning appliance in the bedroom, be sure there is proper ventilation to prevent a buildup of carbon monoxide.
Kerosene heaters are not alone in causing residential house fires related to heating a home this time of year. Wood stoves and space heaters also present their own risks, as does the common furnace.