Fairland Dragons (0-5, 0-2) at Gallia Academy Blue Devils (0-5, 0-2)
Last Week: Fairland lost to Rock Hill 48-6, in Pedro; Gallia Academy lost to Portsmouth 42-7, in Portsmouth.
Last meeting between the teams: September 12, 2014. Gallia Academy won 55-37 in Proctorville.
Current head-to-head streak: Gallia Academy has won 2 straight.
FHS offense last week: N/A.
GAHS offense last week: 131 rushing yards, 50 passing yards.
FHS offensive leaders last week: N/A.
GAHS offensive leaders last week: QB Justin McClelland 4-of-14, 50 yards, 3INTs; RB John Stout 7 carries, 48 yards; WR Colton Campbell 1 reception, 21 yards.
FHS defense last week: 358 rushing yards, 0 passing yards
GAHS defense last week: 321 rushing yards, 42 passing yards
Five things to note:
1. One skid will end on Friday night in Gallipolis, as GAHS will try to snap its 7-game losing skid and Fairland will look to end its run of 15 straight setbacks. The Dragons have also lost eight-straight OVC games.
2. Fairland’s only trip to Memorial Field in the last 20 years was on September 13, 2013. GAHS defeated its guest 63-38 in that contest.
3. FHS trailed just 12-6 at halftime of last week’s loss at Rock Hill, but the Dragons surrendered 26 unanswered points in the second half.
4. Gallia Academy’s offense is averaging just 163 yards and 10.4 first downs per game this season. The Blue Devils have 448 passing yards and 367 rushing yards with three touchdowns via pass and three via run.
5. The Blue Devil defense has allowed 2,342 yards (790 passing, 1,552 rushing) 31 touchdowns (12 passing, 19 rushing) and 101 first downs so far this fall. GAHS has been penalized 28 times for 253 yards, equaling an average of 5.6 penalties and 50.6 penalty-yards per game.
Wellston Golden Rockets (3-2, 1-0) at River Valley Raiders (3-2, 0-2)
Last Week: Wellston defeated Alexander 36-13, in Wellston; River Valley lost to Meigs 38-34, in Rockspring.
Last meeting between the teams: October 2, 2015. River Valley won 15-0.
Current head-to-head streak: River Valley has won 1 straight.
WHS offense last week: 458 rushing yards, 0 passing yards.
RVHS offense last week: 200 rushing yards, 25 passing yards.
WHS offensive leaders last week: RB Nick Cox 23 carries, 220 yards, 2TDs.
RVHS offensive leaders last week: QB Patrick Brown 4-of-8, 25 yards, INT; RB Patrick Brown 17 carries, 70 yards, TD; WR Jaykob Mabe 1 reception 22 yards.
WHS defense last week: 146 rushing yards, 94 passing yards
RVHS defense last week: 279 rushing yards, 91 passing yards
Five things to note:
1. Wellston had defeated River Valley in three straight meetings, prior to last season. The last time the Golden Rockets were in Bidwell, they defeated the Silver and Black 33-32 in overtime. That game was on October 3, 2014 and featured heavy rainfall.
2. Wellston was 0-for-5 passing last week, but had two rushers surpass 200 yards for the game. Along with Nick Cox — who led the way with 220 yards and two scores on 23 carries — Travis Jayjohn added 215 yards and two TDs on 29 rushes. It was the second time this season Jayjohn has surpassed 200 yards on the ground, as he rushed for 258 yards and three scores in a Week 2 win over Huntington.
3. River Valley outscored Meigs 34-to-6 in the second half last Friday, but had dug a 32-point hole by halftime. Still, the Raiders have outscored opponents 71-to-65 in the first half this season.
4. River Valley’s offense has gained 1,468 yards (959 passing, 509 rushing) so far this season. The Raiders have scored 22 touchdowns this fall, including nine passing, 10 rushing and three on defense.
5. The Raiders have 73 first downs this fall, one more than they’ve allowed. RVHS was penalized 24 times for 238 yards in its first two games of the season, but has since committed just 11 penalties for 116 yards.
Belpre Golden Eagles (2-3, 2-2) at South Gallia Rebels (2-3, 1-2)
Last Week: Belpre lost to Southern 34-18, in Belpre; South Gallia lost to Eastern 40-15, in Tuppers Plains.
Last meeting between the teams: October 2, 2015. Belpre won 44-0 in Belpre.
Current head-to-head streak: Belpre has won 4 straight.
BHS offense last week: 97 rushing yards, 96 passing yards.
SGHS offense last week: 258 rushing yards, 0 passing yards.
BHS offensive leaders last week: QB Issac Tullius 3-of-7, 32 yards, INT; RB Tojzae Reams 6 carries, 92 yards, TD; WR Issac Tullius 1 reception 64 yards.
SGHS offensive leaders last week: RB Johnny Sheets 23 carries, 216 yards, 2TDs.
BHS defense last week: 316 rushing yards, 145 passing yards.
SGHS defense last week: 243 rushing yards, 283 passing yards.
Five things to note:
1. South Gallia has struggled with Belpre in recent years, not having won against the Orange and Black since October 7, 2011, by a 62-7 final. Belpre was 0-10 that year. In the last four meetings, BHS has outscored SGHS by a 107-20. Belpre’s last trip to Mercerville resulted in a 21-6 Golden Eagles victory.
2. After last year’s loss to BHS put the Rebels at 2-4 on the year, SGHS won their next four games to qualify for the playoffs. The Golden Eagles also qualified for the 2015 postseason. Both SGHS and Belpre were eliminated in the opening round.
3. Look for this game to be contested on the ground. A total of 831 of Belpre’s 1,063 total yards have come on the ground this season, while 1,376 of South Gallia’s 1,436 total yards have been rushing.
4. The Rebels and Golden Eagles have two common opponents to this point in the season, they are Federal Hocking and Trimble. The Lancers lost to SGHS 42-24 and lost to BHS 51-6, while Trimble defeated the Rebels 42-0 and the Golden Eagles 49-6.
5. Johnny Sheets has accounted for over half of the Rebel offense this season. The SGHS senior has 877 yards and eight touchdowns on 96 carries, for an average of 9.1 yards per rush.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU