SOUTHSIDE — Harmony Baptist Church in Southside is approaching an important milestone.
In October, the church will celebrate its 200th Anniversary. Records of the church are not available until 1838 so little is known about the early years.
However, available records indicate that William George was the first pastor and was responsible for the founding and organization of the church. The church was officially organized in a building on the south side of the Kanawha River near the mouth of Little Sixteen Creek with 16 charter members.
The present location of the church is at Southside at the junction of U.S. 35 and Little Sixteen Creek Road. The original building, erected in 1860-61, still serves as the nucleus of the worship services although many changes and improvements have been made in the church facilities throughout the years.
Special emphasis will be given to the history of the congregation throughout the year with the major celebration in October. The most recent event occurred on Sunday, May 13, with the focus on the family of George Washington Hudson, one of the early members of the church. Over 60 of the Hudson family attending Sunday’s service and most of them are members and faithful attendees of Harmony.
Since it was Mother’s Day, one of George Washington Hudson’s great granddaughters, Ida Mae Hudson Jeffers and her family, were selected for special notice.
Over 100 worshippers were preset for what members called a “memorable day” in the life of Harmony Church.