NEW HAVEN — Roadside Park will soon get an upgrade by members of the New Haven Road Angels, following approval at the most recent town council meeting.
Mark Clark, president of the Road Angels, attended the June 10 meeting asking council members if the organization could replace the roof on the restroom facility, as well as remodel the restrooms. The Road Angels, a local auto club, uses the park for various activities.
Clark also asked the council if the town would run water and sewer to the building once again, and if they would allow a dumpster to be set on the property while the work is being done. The council agreed to all the requests, and following a motion by Jessica Howard, also agreed to be responsible for the park’s monthly water bill.
Water was also the topic of discussion by Louis Menendez, president of the New Haven Youth League. Due to vandalism at the ball field, Menendez said the league was faced with a large water bill and asked the council for assistance.
Amy Gordon made a motion to adjust the bill and the motion passed. Menendez stated the restrooms would be closed due to the vandalism and the league would be using portable facilities this season.
In other action, the council:
- Approved building permits for Tim Thompson, Jackie Blain and John Manual;
- Received a letter from the DEP noting deficiencies found at the wastewater plant during the April 18 inspection;
- Heard a report regarding opening day at the pool, with 110 people attending;
- Hired six lifeguards, including Elijah Honaker, Kelsey Zuspan, Nolan Pierce, Bekah Groves, Noah Davis and Alex Whaley;
- Heard a report from Supervisor John Oldaker that there is still one entity not having water monitored;
- Agreed to allow Mitchell Harbrecht to serve as mayor for a day on June 26;
- Heard a report that only one organization had committed to entering a float in the Fourth of July contest thus far; and,
- Approved paying the bills, minutes and financial report.
Attending were Mayor George Gibbs, Recorder Roberta Hysell, and council members Amy Gordon, Sarah Gibbs, Jim Elias, Jessica Howard and Kenneth Vickers.