Tornadoes topple White Falcons, 73-40

Bryan Walters

December 21, 2013

RACINE, Ohio — Thorough … from start to finish.

The Southern boys basketball team made its first seven field goal attempts and shot 50 percent overall Friday night during a 73-40 triumph over visiting Wahama in a Tri-Valley Conference Hocking Division matchup in Meigs County.

The Tornadoes (3-1, 2-1 TVC Hocking) never trailed in the contest, as Taylor McNickle hit three consecutive uncontested trifectas in the opening 90 seconds of regulation to give the hosts an early 9-0 cushion.

That hot start from the outside allowed things on the inside to open up the rest of the way, as SHS received 46 points from its frontcourt while also outrebounding the White Falcons (0-3, 0-3) by a sizable 43-22 overall margin — including a 14-5 edge on the offensive glass.

Southern followed McNickle’s mini-run with four more consecutive makes to take an 18-3 edge less than four minutes in, then closed the final 4:17 of the first quarter with an 8-5 run to claim a 26-8 lead after eight minutes of play.

The Tornadoes — who made 10-of-13 shot attempts in the first period, including 4-of-6 from behind the arc — led by as many as 21 points in the first half after Dennis Teaford made a basket midway through the second, giving SHS a 37-16 edge.

Wahama managed to trim that deficit down to 13 points (38-23) after Hunter Rose hit a runner with 1:57 left in the half, but the hosts closed things out on a 4-2 spurt to secure a 42-25 cushion at the intermission.

SHS connected on 16-of-31 field goal attempts in the first half for 52 percent, including a 6-of-11 effort from three-point range for 55 percent. The hosts also held a 23-8 edge in rebounding at the break, including an 11-0 difference on the offensive glass.

Wahama, conversely, made just 9-of-22 shot attempts for 41 percent, including a 1-of-4 effort from behind the arc. The guests also committed 10 turnovers by halftime, compared to 11 by the Tornadoes.

Southern went on a 16-3 surge in the third quarter to secure a 58-28 advantage headed into the finale, and the White Falcons ended a 7:20 scoreless drought at the 7:34 mark of the fourth after Michael Hendricks nailed a three-pointer to make it a 58-31 contest.

Brent Larck followed with a free throw at the 6:51 mark to get Wahama to within 58-32, but the guests were never closer the rest of the way.

The Tornadoes closed the final 6:39 of regulation with a 15-9 run, which was capped by a Tanner Roush trifecta moments before the final horn — giving SHS its largest lead of the night in the 33-point outcome.

Southern finished the night 29-of-58 from the field overall, which included an 8-of-13 effort from downtown for 62 percent. The hosts also made 7-of-14 free throw attempts for 50 percent.

Dennis Teaford and Taylor McNickle led the hosts with 17 points apiece, followed by Tristen Wolfe with 12 markers. Zac Beegle, Kevin Perry, Casey Pickens and Chandler Drummer all contributed four points apiece to the winning cause.

Bradley McCoy, Tanner Roush and Trenton Deem each chipped in three markers for SHS, while Jack Lemley rounded things out with two points.

Wahama connected on 13-of-46 shot attempts for 28 percent, including a 3-of-12 effort from three-point range for 25 percent. WHS was also 11-of-19 at the charity stripe for 58 percent.

Hunter Rose led the guests with 15 points, followed by Ian Kapp with nine markers. Michael Hendricks and Brent Larck were next with seven points apiece, while Wyat Zuspan rounded out the scoring with two markers.

Both teams committed 15 turnovers apiece in the contest.