Early-morning fire erupts at local restaurant

Amber Gillenwater

November 13, 2013

GALLIPOLIS — First responders were dispatched to a fire at the Tuscany Cuccini restaurant in Gallipolis early on Wednesday morning — a fire that reportedly left the main floor of the restaurant largely unharmed.

According to the Gallia County 911 Center, dispatchers were first alerted to the fire at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning, with the first firefighters arriving on scene at the restaurant located at 1308 Eastern Avenue at 7:15 a.m.

The majority of the crews cleared the scene at approximately 9:48 a.m., according to dispatchers.

Gallipolis Fire Chief Keith Elliott reported on Wednesday afternoon that, although the fire remains under investigation with the Division of State Fire Marshal, the fire does not appear to be suspicious in nature.

Elliott further reported that he believed that the origin of the fire was in the attic space within the building. Firefighters had to force entry within the building and subsequently gain entry into the attic inside the building to extinguish the fire.

Crews with the City of Gallipolis were also called to the scene early on Wednesday morning to put down salt as the frigid temperatures caused water used by the firefighters to freeze on the parking area around the restaurant.

According to Elliott, one firefighter was transported to Holzer Medical on Wednesday morning as a result of a fall he sustained on the ice while fighting the fire. There was no word on his condition as of Wednesday afternoon. No other injuries were reported.

Reportedly, firefighters with the Point Pleasant Fire Department also responded to the fire after they were asked to respond to provide mutual aid.

Also responding on Wednesday morning were officers with the Gallipolis Police Department, Gallia County EMS and AEP. Workers with a local gas company were also called to the scene as a precaution.

Further information as the cause of the fire will be released as it is made available.